If you’re looking to attract and engage younger audiences—and with younger millennials and Gen Z always online, this is crucial for some brands—short-form video is the way to go.
The definition of short-form video varies. Short videos can be less than 60 seconds or as long as five minutes. By incorporating short-form video into your marketing strategy, you can see a higher return on your investment.
A short video is easier for people to watch and understand, as it only takes a few seconds of their time. In addition, younger viewers tend to have a shorter attention span, so brief videos are ideal for them to absorb information.
Adding shorter videos to your marketing strategy can result in higher engagement from audiences of all ages. Here’s what you need to know when incorporating short-form video into your marketing plan.
Why Short-Form Video Is So Popular
Short-form video is especially popular among Gen Z, which is expected to become the largest generation as of 2023. Besides being digitally connected at all times, why else are shorter videos so popular among younger people?
These videos tend to be highly original, creative, and entertaining, as users only have a very short time to film themselves or deliver a message. App users and creators alike enjoy short-form video because of its minimal time commitment, easy-to-digest messaging, and funny and relatable content.
In fact, short-form videos rank #1 for lead generation and engagement, making this trend one that’s going to stick around.
Different Types of Short-Form Videos
There are several popular platforms for creating short-form videos. The original is TikTok, which has upped its time limit from 60 seconds to three minutes (and now allows long-form videos of up to 10 minutes).
Instagram also has its version of short videos called Instagram Reels (which can be no more than 60-90 seconds, with 30 seconds being closer to average), and YouTube has what it calls YouTube Shorts (which allows videos of no more than 60 seconds).
Keep in mind that different videos can work better on different platforms. For example, trending videos and current topics work well on TikTok, while Instagram Reels are more of an extension of your Instagram account and can be used for evergreen videos and content.
On the other hand, YouTube Shorts allows creators more control over their videos, such as ads shown, scheduling videos, and even editing after publishing. Shorts can also be seen on YouTube, so they don’t require viewers to use a separate app to see the content.
Which platform you use is entirely up to you, or you may choose to use all three.
Best Practices for Creating Short Video Content
Less is more when it comes to short-form video, which tends to be more memorable and impactful among consumers. The following are some best practices to keep in mind when creating short videos:
- Keep it as short as possible. Aim for the shortest length possible to deliver your message because the longer your video is, the less likely your viewers will stick around to watch the whole thing.
- Ensure high video quality. The picture and video should make it simple for your viewer to see and hear you, and your message should be clear.
- Be genuine. People are more likely to engage and respond to you when you’re being authentic. Let your passion for what you do shine through, and keep it relatable yet professional.
- Engage with your audience. Respond to comments on your videos and get on board with trending topics or challenges. You can even do a giveaway to attract more viewers.
- Don’t forget a call-to-action (CTA). Ask viewers to subscribe, visit your website, or leave a comment. A CTA can nudge viewers to engage more with your brand and share your content.
Short-Form Video Is Here to Stay
If you haven’t started incorporating short-form videos into your marketing strategy, the time is now. Shorter videos continue to trend and are projected to remain popular. By creating video content, you can engage more of your audience and grow your brand and company reputation online. Find out more about how short-form video can be a game-changer for your digital marketing strategy by contacting Gazz Consulting today.